When I started to buy M42 lenses, my first camera bag was to small, enabling to carry only the DSLR (MINOLTA D5D) with the kit lens attached (MINOLTA 18-70), the telezomm (MINOLTA 75-300 f/4.5-5.6 D) included in the kit and an other lens or a cobra flash.
So I was looking for a bigger bag more confortable to wear. I found the LOWEPRO FLIPSIDE concept interesting because it ensure you that nobody can open the bag when you wear it because the zip is located on your back.
When I received it, I found it more compact than I was expecting.
I was able to carry inside :
- D5D DSLR body + 18-70 kit zoom attached (1000g)
- 75-300 f/4.5-5.6D kit telezoom (460g, this is a compact telezoom)
- a medium sized flash (a cobra or the SUNPAK 411)
- MINOLTA AF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 (500g)
- MINOLTA AF 35-105 f/3.5-4.5 old (500g)
- SIGMA AF 24mm f2.8 WIDE II
- and depending on the flash size the MINOLTA AF 50 f/1.7 (possible with the SUNPAK 411 but not with a cobra flash)
- The battery charger and the cables on the inside pocket
- A lenspen on the side pocket
Everything but the hammerhead flash on this picture fit into the bag + the DSLR body ! (The hammerhead clearly does not fit into this bag)
Considering the compact size of the bag I think that it is very correct to carry so many photo equipments!
This backpack is robust and well built. It is not an all weather bag, but because the zip is in your back, a small rain is not a problem.
On your shoulders the FLIPSIDE 300 is very confortable thanks to it's large and well padded shoulder straps.
The bag is easy to open with the belt strap attached to change a lens for example. Your photo equipment is secured enought.
The FLIPSIDE 300 can carry your tripod. This is a bag specialised in photo-equipment carring only: no space left for carrying sunglasses, cellphone or other stuff.
An other configuration, with
- MINOLTA 35-105 f/3.5-4.5 old
- my SONY A700 body + TAMRON 17-50 f/2.8 mounted on it
- JUPITER 9 (M42)
- KONICA MINOLTA 75-300 f/4.5-5.6 D
- MINOLTA 28-105 f/3.5-4.5
- SUNPAK 411 flash gun
The problems started when I purchased larger and longuer lenses like the MINOLTA 70-210 f:4.0 (the famous beercan). The minimum length of this lens did not allowed me to carry it from when the SONY A700 was mounted with the TAMRON 17-50 f/2.8 (which is quite compact). Just after I purchased the old and huge MINOLTA 75-300 well known as the big beercan: is was worse because I was not able to carry it with this bag.
An other disapointment with this bag was that a hammerhead flash like the BRAUN BVC 370 does not fit into.
You can carry big photo equipment but you must change the bag configuration and carry less items.
I would recommand this camera bag only if you plan to carry compact lenses or less or equal than 3 big lenses.
I decided to sell it and to buy the bigger FLIPSIDE 400.